One Week of Super Cub Modifications

flapsandFTRD

Spent a week doing little things here-and-there to the SC and ended up with a very different model :) I’m happy because I did a lot of stuff I had been meaning to do to it for a long time.

I only have pictures (and crappy ones!) because I lost my digital camera so I had to use my mobil phone.

The first thing I did was put flaps on. I used these hinges I had bought from HobbyKing like a year ago and didn’t know what to do with them because they sucked as “hatch hinges” like they had been advertised. I like them for flaps because I can make a single cut instead of having to bevel the edge of the flaps, thus keeping the wing totally free of indentations when the flaps are up.

Flaps up. You can barely tell they are there!

That was supposed to be IT. I just wanted to add flaps to the SC. I then thought “Hmm… I should put flapperons TOO!” so I did. I removed the Y-lead and installed two 200mm lead extensions on the servos to split the aileron channel in two. Then I mixed them together with two switches. So I can lower the flaps with or without the flapperons.

Flaps ONLY down

Flaps AND Flapperons down

I also mixed in down-elevator with the flaps and also on a switch to turn it on and off. You can see that in the two pictures above.

Now, my transforming Super Cub (hopefully) can slow down to a crawl.

But WAIT! There’s more! :D

I went up to the attic and found a few goodies in a bin! I found my old SC landing gear! I put those on, as you can see from those pics up there. I had been flying with the rear end of the floats set held on by screws!

I also found a brand new rudder in a pack that used to be a SC tail feathers kit. This rudder has a tail wheel on! AWESOME for me because I had cut off my old tail wheel when I was flying the SC with tricycle landing gear.

And something I had wanted to do for a long time: I counter-balanced the elevator and rudder, as found in many clipped wing cubs. I LOVE the look of that :)

Counter-balanced rudder and elevator

Of course I’m using the OrangeRx 6-ch receiver and taking up every single channel and every mix on the DX6i, including the gear mix, Mix 1 and Mix 2.

Every servo slot is used!

Actually I didn’t use the Flaps mix for reasons only known to me. lol. I can change it later if I feel I have to ;D

Top of the wing with flaps and flapperons down.

Step-by-step tutorials and videos on how to do all this will be coming soon. I just have to find my camera :(

Similar Posts

TwitterFacebookGoogle+PinterestRedditTumblrYahoo BookmarksStumbleUponFlipboardEvernoteSlashdotGoogle BookmarksEmailPrintMore

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *